Our policy is to meet or exceed all national environmental regulations covering the operation of our plants. In doing so, our policy is to measure, manage and minimize the environmental impact of our operations.
Our environmental performance initiatives include:
• In support of the national objective to provide clean fuels in Oman, our refineries started producing environment-friendly unleaded motor gasoline in 2001 and the eco-friendly ultra low sulphur diesel in 2004.
• Our waste water treatment facilities allow us to process effluent water and to use the processed water for irrigation purposes.
• Our Sour Water Stripping Units ensure the removal of pollutants such as hydrogen sulphide and ammonia, to make the water suitable for re-use in the refining process.
• Any liquid effluent is checked for compliance against pollution parameters as stipulated by the Ministry of Environment and Climate Affairs before it is discharged.
• We use low sulphur, hydrogen-rich fuel in furnaces to reduce emissions.
• We have in place continuous ambient air monitoring to check and ensure good air quality around the refineries and plants.
• We have installed low NOx (oxide of nitrogen) burners in our new heaters to reduce emissions.
• Our steam-assisted smokeless flare ensures the safe disposal of gases from or plants during emergency situations.
• Precious metal bearing catalysts are sent for metal recovery for re-use.
• Spent alumina is reused in cement factory as raw material.
Our policy is to measure, manage and minimize the environmental impact of our operations.